Report on SMP issues

Martin Siegert siegert at sfu.ca
Mon Mar 24 11:33:12 PST 2003

On Mon, Mar 24, 2003 at 07:58:06PM +0100, Joachim Worringen wrote:
> Douglas Eadline:
> 		> All
> >
> > I have just posted some results and discussion concerning SMP nodes
> > and clusters.
> >
> > You can read and comment on the report at:
> > http://www.cluster-rant.com/article.pl?sid=03/03/24/1731246
>
> It's nice to have such a comparison -  but it does not make much sense to
> *only* compare speedups - you should add the wall clock times for the test
> runs, too.

Furthermore, if you are interested in the question whether it better to
buy 2x single processor boxes or x dual processor boxes, this comparison
does not tell you very much: you really should keep the total memory
constant, i.e., configure the duals with twice as much RAM as the single.

Martin

--
Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, BC, Canada