Linux distributives for Opteron

Greg Lindahl lindahl at keyresearch.com
Thu Mar 20 12:52:43 PST 2003

On Thu, Mar 20, 2003 at 10:59:32PM +0300, Mikhail Kuzminsky wrote:

>     By RedHat it was declared that x86-64 support will be realized
> in the frames of RH Linux Advanced Server distributive.
> But what is known about much more cheap RH Linux professional (according
> our experience, it is enough for building beowulf clusters w/2-cpu's
> nodes) ? According my data, x86-64 support in RH may be realized
> just at summer.

Mandrake and Suse are also doing support. However, all you need with the
Opteron is (1) a few kernel mods, and (2) an update to gcc/glibc/etc. The
rest of the user-land doesn't _need_ to change.

So, it's a fairly easy thing for you to do yourself. Just make a nice
webpage so we can all follow your recipe ;-)

greg