Google's cluster

Michael Huntingdon hunting at ix.netcom.com
Sat Mar 15 21:46:55 PST 2003

At 07:50 PM 3/15/2003 -0800, Greg Lindahl wrote:
>On Sat, Mar 15, 2003 at 04:11:54PM -0500, Tom A Krewson wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know what software/hardware/interconnect they are using on the
>> linux cluster running at the Google search engine company?
>
>It's well known: the cheapest intel boxes they can buy, and 100 megabit
>ethernet. The rocket science is in the software, not the hardware.

Incredible thought Greg. It's the research groups that drive CPU
requirements. And it's only their code that drives the need for faster and
faster CPU's or CPU's to memory, or faster and faster environments. Sounds
like effiencies to me. What have they in mind next...and which company will
keep pace best?