Google's cluster

Ken Chase math at velocet.ca
Sat Mar 15 19:24:53 PST 2003

On Sat, Mar 15, 2003 at 04:11:54PM -0500, Tom A Krewson's all...
> Does anyone know what software/hardware/interconnect they are using on the
> linux cluster running at the Google search engine company? In their help
> wanted adds they say that have a linux cluster with more than 10,000
> servers. This would make it one the largest linux clusters in the world
> but I never see their cluster in any of the top 500 cluster lists.

Thats cuz they didnt tune their cluster to BE on the top 500 cluster list.

Which seems perfectly natural.

As for academic clusters, I expect that more than most grant money isnt handed
out around the world just to get onto the top 500 cluster list, but in fact,
to get some real work done.

(Of course, some of the money does go to getting on the top 500 list,
just for bragging rights to impress idiots. Makes you wonder who these
idiots are - hopefully not researchers.)

/kc

> Thanks for any help.
> Tom

Ken Chase, math at velocet.ca  *  Velocet Communications Inc.  *  Toronto, Canada
Wiznet Velocet DSL Datavaults 24/7 help: 416-967-4414 tollfree: 1-866-353-0363