rsh slow shutdown

rick bradshaw bradshaw at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Mar 13 08:03:38 PST 2003

I am wondering if anyone knows the solution to the following
problem. I know first of all that rsh is not scalable but it should be
able to hit 255 or so processes, but recently I received the following
message when running 208 processes

Timeout in waiting for processes to exit, 16 left.  This may be due to a defective
rsh program (Some versions of Kerberos rsh have been observed to have this
problem).
This is not a problem with P4 or MPICH but a problem with the operating
environment.  For many applications, this problem will only slow down
process termination.

I will also include the fact that I am running redhat 7.3 with rsh
from the redhat rsh-0.17-5 rpm.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Rick Bradshaw