Xeon rackmonts

Mark Hahn hahn at physics.mcmaster.ca
Tue Mar 11 14:41:41 PST 2003

> > Has anyone had any negative experiences with dual Xeon 2.4 1u
> > rackmounts?  Is heat an issue with these?
>
> Not on IBM eservers.  I have 6 xSeries 335's and the two 2.0 GHz
> Xeons in those are almost cool to the touch.

my 1U dual-xeon/2.4's consume about 1 KW for every 8 nodes,
according to the UPS.  these nodes are RMC1E cases (nice centrifugal blower,
350W PS), 1 or 2G ram, single 40G 7200 RPM IDE disk, no cards.

> There's marginally more heat coming from the hard disk and power
> supply, but it's minimal.

disks and dimms are around 10W these days, versus ~70 for a CPU.
consider those numbers to have .9 significant digits ;)