kill a watt?

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Tue Mar 11 13:55:01 PST 2003

On Tue, 11 Mar 2003, Bill Broadley wrote:

> Er, I'd like to buy one, is EIP an online store?  I tried eip.com and
> it doesn't look like a store front.
>
> How did you order it?

Oops, silly me.  Don't know what I was typing.  Let's try EFI, via:

  http://www.efi.org/greenmountain/info001.htm

so all you have to do is click "add to cart" for $39.95 plus $5 S/H.

This is a site that seems to specialize in energy saving tools and
methodologies.  Looks like a good place, for example, to buy compact
fluorescent lighting.

They push the kill-a-watt device as a way to find out what nearly
anything electrical you're likely to have in a house (short of your 220V
central air, stove, or drier) draws, so you can choose to economize or
select a suitably efficient model.

I don't think they'd disapprove of us doing the same thing with node
engineering.  Nodes cost money, inexorably, every minute they are
plugged in and turned on.

As I said before, if y'all want to wait 2-3 days before ordering, I'd be
happy to give at least a short report on the device as soon as I receive
it.  As in, well made/cheap, works/broken out of box, horribly exciting
or rather dull (but useful) or useless as the case may be.

I can't imagine not liking it if it works and isn't horribly shoddy, but
one never knows...

   rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu