redhat and pxe

Erwan Velu erwan at mandrakesoft.com
Wed Jan 29 05:45:51 PST 2003

> I'm a little confused by the two types of pxe setup that are described. The bw
> cluster that I am now admin for, uses pxe+dhcp+tftp to kickstart the nodes
> altho it uses intel on-board NICs. according to the docs at mandrake, pxe isnt
> needed at all...
The fact is there is two implementations in PXE roms.
When the bios starts the PXE ROM, one brand of network cards needs after
the DCHP/Discover a service which is running on the server side (upd
port 4011) that gives to the client a menu. Then the client can choose
the image it needs. Then it download a kernel or another pxe bootstrap.

The other brand choose doesn't need the pxe service (udp 4001) and
directly download the pxe bootstrap on a tftp server. This pxe bootstrap
will show a menu (i.e pxelinux).
--
Erwan Velu
Linux Cluster Distribution Project Manager