Lahey Licensing of Fortran compiler for Linux - in detail ;-)

Marnix Petrarca Marnix at GBNetworks.com
Fri Jan 17 13:41:20 PST 2003

I have an answer from Lahey for you gentlemen; let me know if there are
questions (not that I know everything ;-) I cleaned the message up bit
though, save some bndwdth.

Hope this helps, good weekend all.

Bye -- Marnix

Start answer:"

Question 1 - Lahey does NOT require a license for every cluster that uses
executable code created with a Lahey compiler.  A cluster license authorizes
the developer to create code for specific cluster SIZES.  I would refer you
to page 3 of our price list.  Look at the LF95 v6.1 Express 2 user license
for 64 CPUs.  The price is a one time cost of $1,120.  The license allows
two users to simultaneously develop programs for use on clusters of up to 64
CPUs in size.  The code that is developed can be distributed to an UNLIMITED
number of clusters ranging in size from 5 to 64 CPUs.  The clusters running
the executable code do not need a Lahey compiler, nor do they pay any fees
to Lahey.

Question 2 - The reader is misinterpreting the intent of the standard,
single user license.  The clause that disturbs him allows single user
licenses to be used on clusters of up to 4 CPUs without paying ANY
additional charges.  This clause permits a user of a standard, single user
license to set up and evaluate the merits of a cluster without having to
purchase a cluster license from Lahey.  That does NOT mean a license is
required for every 4 CPUs in a cluster.  The same Express cluster license
mentioned in Question 1 would suffice for this reader's 44 CPU cluster.  Two
users can simultaneously develop programs for his 44 CPU cluster at a cost
of $1,120.  He mistakenly interprets the terms of the license to mean he
needs 11 licenses -- a cost of $2,739 for a single user, $5,478 for two
users.  The actual cost is about 1/5 of that price.  Furthermore, the reader
can expand his cluster from the current 44 CPUs to 64 CPUs at no additional
cost.  If the target cluster should expand beyond 64 CPUs, the license can
be modified to support 256+ CPUs at a price of $560.

Marnix, you can refer these and other readers to page 3 of our price list
for accurate cluster pricing.  The various compilers are listed on a table
with clusters of various sizes.  Educational discounts are also listed where
appropriate.

Hopefully, this clears up some of the misconceptions about our cluster
policy.  If you, or any of your customers, have any questions I would be
glad to explain in greater detail.

Have a good weekend.

Steve Meaders
Lahey Computer Systems, Inc.