Lahey Licensing of Fortran compiler for Linux - in detail ;-)

Craig Tierney ctierney at hpti.com
Fri Jan 17 13:55:09 PST 2003

On Fri, Jan 17, 2003 at 10:41:20PM +0100, Marnix Petrarca wrote:
> I have an answer from Lahey for you gentlemen; let me know if there are
> questions (not that I know everything ;-) I cleaned the message up bit
> though, save some bndwdth.
>
> Hope this helps, good weekend all.
>
> Bye -- Marnix
>
> Start answer:"
>
> Question 1 - Lahey does NOT require a license for every cluster that uses
> executable code created with a Lahey compiler.  A cluster license authorizes
> the developer to create code for specific cluster SIZES.  I would refer you
> to page 3 of our price list.  Look at the LF95 v6.1 Express 2 user license
> for 64 CPUs.  The price is a one time cost of $1,120.  The license allows
> two users to simultaneously develop programs for use on clusters of up to 64
> CPUs in size.  The code that is developed can be distributed to an UNLIMITED
> number of clusters ranging in size from 5 to 64 CPUs.  The clusters running
> the executable code do not need a Lahey compiler, nor do they pay any fees
> to Lahey.
>
> Question 2 - The reader is misinterpreting the intent of the standard,
> single user license.  The clause that disturbs him allows single user
> licenses to be used on clusters of up to 4 CPUs without paying ANY
> additional charges.  This clause permits a user of a standard, single user
> license to set up and evaluate the merits of a cluster without having to
> purchase a cluster license from Lahey.  That does NOT mean a license is
> required for every 4 CPUs in a cluster.  The same Express cluster license
> mentioned in Question 1 would suffice for this reader's 44 CPU cluster.  Two
> users can simultaneously develop programs for his 44 CPU cluster at a cost
> of $1,120.  He mistakenly interprets the terms of the license to mean he
> needs 11 licenses -- a cost of $2,739 for a single user, $5,478 for two
> users.  The actual cost is about 1/5 of that price.  Furthermore, the reader
> can expand his cluster from the current 44 CPUs to 64 CPUs at no additional
> cost.  If the target cluster should expand beyond 64 CPUs, the license can
> be modified to support 256+ CPUs at a price of $560.
>
> Marnix, you can refer these and other readers to page 3 of our price list
> for accurate cluster pricing.  The various compilers are listed on a table
> with clusters of various sizes.  Educational discounts are also listed where
> appropriate.
>
> Hopefully, this clears up some of the misconceptions about our cluster
> policy.  If you, or any of your customers, have any questions I would be
> glad to explain in greater detail.

My point is that I have 4 front ends and 768 nodes (dual proc).  With the Intel and
Portland Group compilers I have to purchase 4 compilers.  That is it.
Lahey I have to license my cluster.  Why?

What if I wanted to distribute (or sell) my executable?  Does Lahey expect
all of my users/customers to have licenses for their product?   How different
is this from how a cluster works.  I don't want to compile on all nodes, just
a subset of nodes.

If Lahey is providing something else for the cluster of value (mpi debugging or
profiling tools, etc.) I can understand where the cost would be dependent on
the number of nodes.  It is my impression that they are not.

The answers provide above were the same answers I got at SC2001.  They don't make
sense to me when other vendors are doing it differently.

Craig

--
Craig Tierney (ctierney at hpti.com)