Fortran compiler for Linux

Andrew Leahy aleahy at knox.edu
Fri Jan 17 09:23:49 PST 2003

Marnix Petrarca wrote:

> Hi,
>
> have you looked at Lahey Fortan yet? They have a very good Fortran compiler
> for Linux, and they also have experience in the cluster corner - berowulf
> specifically. I know NASA for one uses it..check it out.. www.lahey.com, Tom
> Lahey knows his stuff..

I looked into Fortran compilers for a course I am thinking of teaching
and I was disappointed in the Lahey license--particularly this
paragraph:

YOUR RIGHTS AND RESTRICTIONS. Lahey grants you a nonexclusive, single-
user license to use the Software on a single computer and run executable
programs created with the Software on computer systems that contain,
in total, no more than four processors. For example, you may run
executable programs created with the Software on a single computer
that has four processors and on a cluster of four computers having
one processor each. If you wish to use the software on a multi-user
system, you must purchase the same number of licenses as simultaneous
Software users on the system. If you wish to run executable programs
created with the Software on computer systems that have more than four
processors, you must purchase additional licenses.

Granted, Lahey has to make its money somehow, but these sorts of
restrictions on the _resulting executable_ disturbed me. Even one user
developing programs to run on my small 44-processor cluster would have
required 11 licenses!

Andrew Leahy
---