FW: xCAT Cluster Management SW?

Egan Ford egan at sense.net
Thu Jan 16 11:11:46 PST 2003

> > Many of the problems with the RSA firmware have been
> resolved, please
> > upgrade the firmware.    If you have a specific list of
> issues please
> > send them directly to me.  The most common problems are related to
> > improper cabling.
>
> Can you elaborate ? All of our RSA/ASMA's have been wired by
> IBM. We have noticed that all are set to half duplex in the
> RSA Config problem. Do they work better if they are set to
> full duplex?

ASMA and RSA are 2 different adapters.  ASMAs are no longer shipping.

ASMA's must be running 2.14 firmware and be connected at 100mbit 1/2
duplex.  An if they are connect to Cisco's switches leave the Cisco in
auto negotiate mode.

2.14 fixes a telnet hang problem.  xCAT automates the telnet interface.

RSA have different firmware based on the machine they are installed in.
You'll have to go to http://www.pc.ibm.com/support, click servers, click
your server type (drop down box, center column), click download (far
left hand column), select advanced systems management (drop down, center
column), then select RSA firmware.  Leave the speed/duplex to auto
negotiate on the RSA and the switch.

The latest RSA firmware fixes an http hang problem.  xCAT automates the
http interface.

Cabling diagrams are also available at the same site, select
documentation instead of download.  RSA 5.0 hardware installation manual
covers it well.  There is an ASMA manual as well.

> BTW -- since you know more about them, would it be possible
> to provide a link to the lastest upgrade for 330/335/342 x
> series machines? Or maybe just a link to the file matrix page
> for each. I have a hard time finding them ( as did the IBM
> tech who was here ).

BIOS and links change frequently.  Follow the notes above for the RSA,
it very similar.  Also register your machines (one of each type).  They
you will receive email when there are newer firmware/bios releases.

Please contact me if you continue you have problems.  Also consider
joining the xCAT mailing list.  It should be back this week at xcat.org.