Which cluster to use?

Donald Becker becker at scyld.com
Wed Sep 18 10:48:54 PDT 2002

On Wed, 18 Sep 2002, Curtas, Anthony R. wrote:

> I am setting up a cluster (albeit very slowly) in our computer lab.
>
> We have good compilers from Absoft and Portland Group that support parallel
> execution.  However, they are running on RedHat 7.3 with the 2.4 kernel.
>
> I had a 3 node test system using the Sycld basic setup; but it would not run
> any of our software due to a glibc mismatch (the version with the 2.4 kernel
> was incompatible with the special Sycld version for RedHat 6.3).

The current version of Scyld is 28cz-4, which has a 2.4 kernel and
a more recent glibc (6/2.2.4).  It's compatible with applications and
libraries for Red Hat 7.2 and 7.3.

Note that for Fortran-MPI bindings you may have to compile our
version of the MPI library for the specific compiler version you are
using. (Why?  PGI Fortran embeds compiler license information in the
resulting library.)

Donald Becker				becker at scyld.com
Annapolis MD 21403			410-990-9993