undergrad senior project idea, help

Dean Johnson dtj at uberh4x0r.org
Fri Sep 6 15:13:47 PDT 2002

On Fri, 2002-09-06 at 15:04, Matt Osborne wrote:
> Thanks for the details, really informative. Do you know of any easy way to
> measure or determine the power drawn by a system besides calculating each
> component's?

I went to the local power company and they have a little meter device
that allows you to monitor the actual number of watts being consumed. If
you go this route, make sure you test it under a real load, as our
measured draw went up by like 25% when it started doing actual work.

> Also, I notice that you and Mark Hahn are from the Physics
> area. Is there a particular set of problems within Physics that you use
> for your Beowulf or a website that might have some info? I really enjoy
> working with the Physics dept. here so I thought I would ask.

Check out NAMD at

It has some benchmarks and timings relative to "big iron". In
conjunction with that, pretty pictures can be created using

Its kinda opaque for geeks, but there is enough docs to muddle through.