Need: Switch Recommendations ( > 150 ports)

Shanwu Wang shanwu at psu.edu
Sat Oct 19 11:05:32 PDT 2002

Hi Dean,

Thank you for your reminder.    We are going to trash our first generation
beowulf,  dual-PII 400 to save some space and power.  I will measure our
beowulf shelf again to make sure it is big enough, :-).  When I hunt for
desktop, I select the smallest one from Dell.  Its volume is only 1/4 of
tower case.

Because the CPU is much faster than our current systems (PIII 500 and
PIII766, a total number of 350CPUs), the network is our bottleneck.
Therefore, we select 1NIC/1CPU or channel bonding for dual-CPU node when we
still don't have enough money for Gig or myrinet.  The switch is really a
headache problem for a system in such a size.

Shanwu