C++ programming (was Newbie Alert: Beginning parallel program ming with Scyld)

Garriss, Michael Michael.Garriss at abacus-direct.com
Wed Oct 16 07:24:35 PDT 2002

Assuming that Fortran compilers produce more optimized code then C++ (I have
a feeling that the people at the Free Software Foundation, www.gnu.org,
would have issue with this but...) then you have a trade off.  Do you want
more optimized code, lets say 50% faster, or do you want more features for
you program?  Many more features.  Software benefits, like us, from
evolution.  I find that C and Fortran code tends to get written and stay
static where as C++, Ada, Eiffel code grows and changes over time to address
the ideas and problems that the old code produced.  And, sometimes smarter
code is faster that more optimized code.  Just my thoughts.

-Mike Garriss