Server room power engineering

Jim Meyer purp at acm.org
Thu Oct 10 18:01:47 PDT 2002

On Thu, 2002-10-10 at 09:07, Joel Jaeggli wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Oct 2002, Robert G. Brown wrote:
>
> > It is unfortunate that we have to be our own experts here as so many
> > places -- one might have hoped that a beowulf person didn't have to
> > effectively study for a journeyman electrician's license -- but alas it
> > just works out that way.  So anyway, enjoy!
>
> Actually what's disapointing is how little most electricians seem to know
> about NEC requirements for data centers. I had an electrician tell me I
> didn't want our new ups connected to our EPO switch because if someone hit
> the button it would turn off. This was followed  but much shouting and
> waving on my part.

I'm so glad that mine hasn't been the only "learn it all then explain it
to the experts" experience. Though I must say that the electricians
we've been dealing with (Decker Electric, if you're in the SF Bay Area)
have been a dream; quick to explain when I didn't understand and even
quicker to learn when they didn't. The general contractor, on the other
hand ...

--j, who knows far more about fireproofing, wall finishes, and door
     hardware than he EVER desired.
--
Jim Meyer, Geek At Large                                    purp at acm.org