kickstart install using NFS

Joshua Baker-LePain jlb17 at
Wed Oct 9 12:55:03 PDT 2002

On Wed, 9 Oct 2002 at 2:15pm, Henderson, TL Todd wrote

> I'm preparing to install a large number of new nodes using redhat and have
> planned on using the kickstart option.  I have gotten a kickstart file setup
> just the way I want it with one exception and I can not get it to work.  I
> ultimately want to boot from a floppy and in the kickstart file tell it to
> get the rpm's from a nfs mount.
> So far I have:
> 1.)  Booted from a cd and issued the command:
> linux ks=floppy

I don't believe that the boot image on the CD is net enabled.  On the CD
there should be a directory called "images".  In there is bootnet.img.  dd
that onto a floppy, mount the floppy, copy your ks.cfg onto it, and then
try the above line.

As an aside, I've heard through the grapevine that ftp installs are faster
than NFS...

Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering
Duke University