Daniel Kidger Daniel.Kidger at
Tue Oct 1 12:34:43 PDT 2002

Pacific Northwestern National Lab has an Itanium II cluster.

There were only around 80 processors (as 2U 1GHz dual-cpu HP rx2600's) when
I visited earlier in the year, but the final size will be around 1400 CPUs.

I also know of 5 other sites that have smaller Itanium II clusters.

(for information Doug's HP zx2000 nodes are AFAIK single CPU desktop boxes
that rack as 4U units - so probably offer better price performance as long
as you have the space)

Dr. Dan Kidger, Quadrics Ltd.      daniel.kidger at
One Bridewell St., Bristol, BS1 2AA, UK         0117 915 5505
----------------------- --------------------

-----Original Message-----
From: Douglas Johnson [mailto:djohnson at]
Sent: 30 September 2002 21:12
To: beowulf at
Cc: Galen Arnold; Lauro L. A. Whately
Subject: Re: itanium2

It appears that the original question was about Itanium 2 (see subject
line), not the first generation IA64. We've ordered a 300 processor
Itanium 2 cluster based on the HP zx2000 systems. These have a chipset
that was developed by HP and we've been very impressed with the
performance. There is also a 'whitebox' board available from Intel but we
do not have any experience with these.

For distribution we've been using the redhat-7.2 for IA64 (needed a newer
kernel for the HP chipset, all else works ok). We've also received a beta
copy of the 'redhat linux advanced workstation for itanium 2' but have not
had a chance to install it on our systems.

On Mon, 30 Sep 2002, Galen Arnold wrote:

> Lauro,
> On Mon, 30 Sep 2002, Lauro L. A. Whately wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> >   is someone running a cluster of itanium ?
> > how is it working ? which motherboard are you using ?
> > and Linux distribution ?
> >
> >   Thanks in advance !
> > Lauro Whately.

Beowulf mailing list, Beowulf at