LAM and openmosix

Peter Beerli beerli at gs.washington.edu
Tue Nov 26 16:49:42 PST 2002

Hi,
earlier I asked about why lam-mpi did not migrate on an openmosix [not mosix]
cluster. meanwhile I found out myself [a kind of].

I configured LAM 6.5.8 the first time with
./configure --prefix=$HOME/lam --with-rti=usysv
[the cluster contains 8 dual AMD machines]
programs compiled/linked  with this lam libraries/binaries does run but does NOT migrate away from the
master node.
Today I retried, after reading that shared memory programs such as java engines etc do not migrate, with
./configure --prefix=$HOME/lam --with-romio --without-impi
[leaving out the rti, I assume it is then default (tcp)]
Now it works fine and the jobs migrate, I assume that openmosix is adding a layer that is
invisible to lam. I do not know if any of the romio and impi material blocks a migration among
cluster nodes.

It was a good LAM/MPI day today,
Peter

PS. I do not believe that using lam with openmosix is the best use of computertime,
but the machine is used by others and it seems that I am the only MPI person on it.

--
Peter Beerli,  Genome Sciences, Box #357730, University of Washington,
Seattle WA 98195-7730 USA, Ph:2065438751, Fax:2065430754