Top 500 trends

Joseph Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Mon Nov 25 16:21:12 PST 2002

On Mon, 2002-11-25 at 18:20, Ken Chase wrote:

> Anyone have stats on the top 500 in FLOPS per $?
>
> Does anyone care? ("no.") Shouldnt we? Isnt that what Beowulf (but
> HPC itself, obviously) is about?

I would like to see columns for acquisition costs, maintenance costs
(including #of admins, average admin costs), facilities costs
(installation mandated updates, such as power, cooling, etc), electrical
costs, cooling costs.

Building the fastest machine when you have infinite budget is a neat
exercise, it just isn't terribly relevant to most people.  I look at
those machines as usually non-commercially viable one-offs.

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Scalable Informatics LLC
email: landman at scalableinformatics.com