FastE NIC Recommendation

Donald Becker becker at scyld.com
Sun Nov 17 15:57:15 PST 2002

On Sun, 17 Nov 2002, Jeffrey B. Layton wrote:

>    I'm finally getting my home cluster together so I'm
> looking for some inexpensive FastE NICS. I want
> inexpensive NICS that offer PXE

That's a little difficult -- most NICs don't ship with PXE boot ROMs.
The alternative is to buy a Flash ROM chip and program in an etherboot
image, however the correct flash chips are not easy to find and getting
the correct boot image isn't easy either.

Intel or 3Com cards ("-M" versions) can be bought with preprogrammed
flash chips, but not usually at the local store.

Donald Becker				becker at scyld.com
Annapolis MD 21403			410-990-9993