Bonded head nodes

Ivan Pulleyn ivan at sixfold.com
Fri Nov 8 12:14:25 PST 2002

On Fri, 8 Nov 2002, Donald Becker wrote:

> Every current motherboard you might use in a cluster has native PXE
> boot.  It's not the protocol you would choose, but it's a ubiquitous
> standard.  It's done.  It's workable.  That means it won't change for
> about a decade.

I agree that stage 1 will remain PXE w/TFTP for a long time because
it's burned into the ROMs. However, the bulk of the data transfer
happens afterwards (due to the transfer size constraints imposed by
the ROMs). There's no reason we can't work as a group to improve stage
2 performance. This merely requires getting new code accepted into the
various Linux projects that implement stage 2 clients.

Ivan....

Ivan Pulleyn
Sixfold Technologies, LLC
Chicago Technology Park