disadvantages of linux cluster - admin

Bob Drzyzgula bob at drzyzgula.org
Thu Nov 7 15:30:08 PST 2002

Back in the mid-1980s, under SunOS 2.something, we used
to do a rm -rf /tmp/* on every reboot. The exclusion of
dot files was deliberate, but the users of course figured
this out and took good advantage of it. One day, a new
sysadmin had to clean out /tmp for real, and there were a
bunch of dot directories in there. So he did the simplest
thing -- rm -rf /tmp/.* -- to get rid of them all. Thing
was, this was before SunOS had demand-paged executables;
it was astonishing how long the machine kept running just
out of swap space...

--Bob