distributed storage

Yudong Tian yudong at hsb.gsfc.nasa.gov
Thu May 30 06:26:56 PDT 2002

Hi everyone!
    I'd like to hear your expert opinion on how to effectively use the
distributed storage
capacity of a cluster. Suppose you have hundreds of nodes, each with a local
hard disk,
thus the accumulated capacity is huge. Aslo you have large amount of data to
be stored.
How can we reliably take advantage of the storage on the nodes?
   I checked out PVFS. It is nice, but it seems to me the reliability is an
issue -- if one of the
storage nodes goes down, the whole FS is not available (correct me if I am
wrong).
CXFS and GFS are not our options because they cost $$.
Any suggestions on how we can best use the capacity, while having no
problems
when one or two nodes crash?

Thanks.
Falun Dafa: Truthfulness Benevolence Forbearance
http://www.falundafa.org
Yudong Tian, Ph.D. GSFC/NASA  (301) 504-5825