p4 v itinium

George France france at handhelds.org
Fri May 17 07:22:35 PDT 2002

On Tuesday 14 May 2002 15:33, Ricky Rankin wrote:
> I am currently looking to setup a linux cluster for use by
> researchers in the University. I would appreciate any views on
> the following:-
>
> can a p4 access more than 4GB memory - some of the codes have a
> requirement to access large memory
>
> if I have to go to itanium, is there a reliable fortran compiler
> for this platform

Have you thought about Alpha Systems?? A single process can access more than
4GB of memory.  Alpha's have very good fortran compilers.  Since the HP /
Compaq merger, it appears that Alpha still be around through EV79 chipset,
according to the product road maps that were published on the web.

Best Regards,

--George