Does my channel bond work-2

abhishek Sinha aby_sinha at yahoo.com
Wed May 8 19:14:54 PDT 2002

Hi Beowulfers

--- Martin Siegert <siegert at sfu.ca> wrote:
> First of all: does your channel bonding setup work
> without a switch,
> i.e., just with two cross over cables between two
> nodes?
> If that is the case, then clearly the switch
> configuration is at fault.

YEs that is the case

> Channel bonding works by assigning the same Mac
> address to both NICs
> in the box. Switches get confused, if they see
> traffic on different
> ports coming from the same Mac address. This problem
> is solved
> by either
> - using one switch for each trunk (i.e., switch 1
> for all the first NICs
> in each host, switch 2 for all the second NICs in
> each host). This is
> the easiest setup and that is what I am using.
> - or by setting up VLANs on the switch and
> connecting the first NICs to
> one VLAN and the second NICs to another. Obviously
> the switch must
> support VLANs. I do not know whether the HP switch
> does.

What is exactly happening is that when i am trying to
send packets from one node to another, all my packets
are coming out from the One interface but they get
load balanced on both the nics when they reach the
other nodes. For Eg , when i send 10 packets my eth0
for node 1 sends all of them but at node 2 5 packets
get received by eth0 and 5 by eth1. Does this always
happen in channel bonding. Shouldnt the packets come
out load balanced from the node .

the other thing is related to the switch that i am
using. The HP pro curve 4000M has an option where you
can trunk lines to load balance / channel bond.
this is what happens when i use netperf. since the
packets only come out of the one interface i am
getting a ~90 MBPs on the sender side. I also tried
doing this with VLANs . I put all eth0 s in one
untagged VLAN and all the eth1 s  in another untagged
VLAN.Again the same performacne using netperf.And
Still the load doesnt balance properly.

I know my channel bond is working since when i tried
using cross over cables and then used netperf I got
191MBPs. But when the switch comes into picture ; i
just dont know what happens.

Any suggestions on this one..

-A

=== message truncated ===