opinion on XFS

Eray Ozkural erayo at cs.bilkent.edu.tr
Tue May 7 11:51:43 PDT 2002

Hi Yudong,

On Tuesday 07 May 2002 18:28, Yudong Tian wrote:
>  Hello,
>     Has anyone tested the water of using SGI's XFS on a Linux cluster Can
> you kindly share any experience and insights?

I haven't made an analysis of what needs to be done to merge XFS into the
kernel mainline but I have a feeling it is not prohitibive.

I have been running the 32 node Beowulf at bilkent cs dept. and my personal
computers with XFS for the last 6-7 months. It has operated perfectly, I have
not observed a single reliability or performance bug that will influence the
parallel system.

On the contrary, the uptime and reliability of our system has improved
significantly. We used to suffer crashed nodes due to the extremely poorly
written EXT2 filesystem. That was the only system level bug that interrupted
our work. Since I modified our installation scripts to format local drives
with XFS, everything has changed. I think the required maintenance time has
decreased considerably. They haven't called me for the last couple of months
:)

--
Eray Ozkural (exa) <erayo at cs.bilkent.edu.tr>
www: http://www.cs.bilkent.edu.tr/~erayo  Malfunction: http://mp3.com/ariza