Any anti-virus/security tools

Gerry Creager N5JXS n5jxs at tamu.edu
Fri May 3 05:29:00 PDT 2002

You give little information as to the configuration, but if you ae using
a cluster of workstations, normally exposed to the net, the issues are
different than if the cluster is isolated behind a "head" node, and
they're not exposed.

And, while Linux is not immune, we certainly see fewer problems than our
Windows bretheran, since we don't have Outlook to serve as a willing vector.

That said, look for chkrootkit, Tripwire, and setting up process
accounting, to identify most of your problems.  Be prepared to audit
logs regularly, or you're wasting your time.

Another alternative is to invest in a commercial intrusion detection
system and audit all access to the machines.  Generally, you can get
notification of unusual access attempts, and take reactive measures at
that point.

Proactive measures would include disabling all services that are not
specifically needed, restricting hosts access to thosethat specifically
need to get to the cluster, and using IPTABLES and Advanced Routing
patches to look at use spikes that might indicate an abnormal activity.

In other words, generally good security practice is where you start.  If
your cluster is isolated behind a master node (which should be better
protected) you may be less at risk and can take less drastic action.

gerry

Gerry Creager -- gerry at cs.tamu.edu
Network Engineering
Academy for Advanced Telecommunications and Learning Technologies
Texas A&M University	979.458.4020  (Phone) -- 979.847.8578  (Fax)