MPI over ATM help or how-to?

Gerry Creager N5JXS gerry at cs.tamu.edu
Sat Mar 30 15:11:34 PST 2002

Marketting types, setting cost-per-port for ATM at 4x GBE and 20x
100BaseT effectively killed ATM for LAN and SAN.  It's still viable for
operations that benefit from connection-oriented operations, in the case
of this forum, that being the Grid initiatives.

I don't see ATM returning to the LAN forefront.  I see GBE to the
desktop and MPLS-based protocols surging ahead of it.  That said, I
suspect that after a foray into packet-based protocols without ensured
sessions connectivity the carriers will return to ATM or MPLS with
DiffServ-based QoS.

But then again, I'm really an ATM bigot...

gerry