Tiger MP motherboard in rack

Wolfgang.Dobler at kis.uni-freiburg.de Wolfgang.Dobler at kis.uni-freiburg.de
Tue Mar 19 03:52:26 PST 2002

Our institute is planning to buy a 6-8 node Dual AMD (1800+MP) cluster,
either as towers or in a rack.
  One vendor suggested Tyan Tiger MP motherboards for the tower variant but
the much more expensive Tyan Thunder K2 S2462NG for the rack cluster,
while another vendor says we can use the same motherboard (Tiger MP) in
both cases.

Can anybody give advice on whether it is a good idea or not to use the
Tiger MP motherboard in a 2-unit rack? Are there thermal problems; would
we need special ventilation?

Any help is appreciated,

W o l f g a n g

|  Wolfgang Dobler                                                        |
|  Kiepenheuer Institute for Solar Physics                                |
|  Schöneckstraße 6                                                       |
|  D-79104 Freiburg                   E-Mail: Dobler at kis.uni-freiburg.de  |
|  Germany                       http://www.kis.uni-freiburg.de/~dobler/  |