Porting PVM to linux

Drake Diedrich Drake.Diedrich at anu.edu.au
Tue Mar 12 22:35:33 PST 2002

On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 01:29:12AM +0000, Martin WHEELER wrote:

> No direct experience personally; but Debian GNU/Linux is available for
> Sun sparc architecture, and installing pvm/xpvm is as easy as entering:
>
>      apt-get install pvm xpvm

   Yep, SPARC (32 and 64 bit) has been supported in Debian for a while.  I
think SPARC support was among the patches that went into pvm 3.4.3 as well,
but due to some security issues with the /tmp/pvm.* rendevous sockets and
logs (upstream made a different patch to the same problem, and I'm pretty
convinced 3.4.3 only changes the hole from wide-open to a race) I haven't
yet bumped the .debs to the latest PVM.

pvm (3.4.2-4) frozen unstable; urgency=high

  * Release manager: changes required to build on SPARC and ARM
  * Added flags for sys_errlist to LINUXSPARC (closes: #59574)
  * Added sparc64 in addition to sparc for LINUXSPARC
  *   note to self: will need to create LINUXSPARC64 for woody once the new
  *   build environment exists.
  * Added LINUXARM.

 -- Drake Diedrich <Drake.Diedrich at anu.edu.au>  Fri,  3 Mar 2000 20:09:39 -0700

pvm (3.4.0-6) unstable; urgency=low

  * Applied SAFETMP patch

 -- Drake Diedrich <Drake.Diedrich at anu.edu.au>  Wed,  6 Oct 1999 13:54:40
+1000

pvm (3.4.0-5) unstable; urgency=high

  * Quick non-backward-compatible fix to unsafe /tmp log and daemon
    files.  Backward-compatible fixes soon - don't distribute staticly
    linked binaries from this version for compatibility reasons.

 -- Drake Diedrich <Drake.Diedrich at anu.edu.au>  Wed, 21 Jul 1999 13:35:45 +1000