DUAL CPU board vs 2 Single CPU boards: bang for buck?

'Velocet' math at velocet.ca
Thu Mar 7 20:24:49 PST 2002

On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 12:45:26PM -0500, Jim Fraser's all...
> Amazing. 1 cpu 63 ps/day, 2 cpu = 179 ps/day, sounds like a case of  1 + 1 =
> 2.84   (ie. 63 + 63 = 179 (not 126)?)
> Sounds fishy to me but I am unfamiliar with your application.

Ask David VanDerSpoel, he'll tell you that they see superlinear speedups
in Gromacs jobs quite often. Has to do with the cache, I'd guess something
like with one CPU the job cant fit in L2 cache by itself, so lots of
main memory accesses are required - when the job is split for 2 cpus,
more of the job is in L2 caches, and despite the shared memory that LAM
uses for communications for dual nodes, the overhead for that doesnt outweigh
the advantage of having the job divided into more cache ram... works
out well! :)

It happens sometimes - they see 20-25% for Pentium (3? 4?) in speedups, but
Athlons really kick ass for CERTAIN JOBS in gromacs (small jobs dont do this
because one CPU is enough for the whole job, and MONSTER jobs may well be too
big for the cache to give a big advantage - and once you go onto a network it
may too slow to take advantage of directly (dotn know if people have scali
numbers for gromacs 3.0 on Dual athlons >=1.2GHz) - I see >100% scaling per
CPU with 4 nodes with GBE with that job (d.dppc) in gromacs 3.0 with 1.333
Ghz CPUs.

[ im not sure this is all how it works, perhaps someone on the list can
explain it. ]

Go read the factoring hack by DJB I think it was that makes RSA style public
key easier by a magnitude or so (couple weeks ago) - there are big speedups
for that stuff due to multiple CPU cache usage... it seems somewhat related.

/kc