DUAL CPU board vs 2 Single CPU boards - 1Us

alvin at Maggie.Linux-Consulting.com alvin at Maggie.Linux-Consulting.com
Thu Mar 7 17:44:36 PST 2002

hi ya

adding my twists/comments... please ignore if ya so desire :-0

2 complete boxes is better ???
	- if one system dies... the other keep cranking along

	- if maintenance is done right... maintaining 5 or 100 servers
	should NOT make any difference .. everything automated

dual cpu system
	- if the power supply dies...both cpu's is dead
	- the cpu have to share memory/disks/ethernet to do its local work
	- if the disk dies...both cpu sits idle

systems typically die due to (cheap) fans dying...

am assuming the same overhead for network traffic between servers ...

performance between single and dual-cpu systems can be different
depending on can the tasks be divided into nice pieces for each server
	vs divided between 2 CPUs on the same motherboard

- midtower/full tower atx case is super cheap ( $25 - $100 range )
- 4U chasis is cheap
- 2U/3U chasis is about $50 more
- 1U chassis is about $250 - $300 ---
  - cheap 1U cases at $150 range...
  ( do it yourselef is $100 or less?  but you spend lots of time with
  ( wires, led, screws, heatsinks,..etc..etc..

Jim's comparason between two systems at $505 vs $1023 for dual looks
good for network booted diskless machines
	- i too would like to see some benchmarks for these
	performance comparsons ...

But if you have a disk-based system...
	than there is some differences in minor costs differences
	between 2 systems vs one dual-cpu system

Buildable/tested AMD 1U system
------------------------------
$ 250	C1400 14" deep 1U
$ 125	Asus A7S w/ onboard NIC w/ onboard SVGA
$ 150	AMD 1.4G XP ( 1700+ )
$ 160	512MB DDR PC2100
$ 250	Maxtor 120GB disks
$  75	5x extra fans
-----	------------------
$1010	parts-off-the-shelf

$2020  	for two of um .... more expensive than one dual-cpu system ...:-)

Dual CPUs
------------------
$ 250	C1400 14" deep 1U
$ 250	(generic) Tyan dual-cpu mb  - can go to $500 mb too
$ 400	2x AMD 1.4G MP ( 1600+ )
$ 160	512MB ddr pc2100
$ 250	maxtor 120GB
$  75	5x extra fans