Dual AMD systems in rackmount cases

Joel Jaeggli joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Mon Jun 24 11:46:26 PDT 2002

On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, Mark Hahn wrote:

> > > Does anybody have any experience with Dual AMD systems (MP2000) in 2 RU
> > > rackmount cases?  Is heat generation a problem?  I am planning on
>
> there seem to be quite a lot of vendors who seem confident enough
> to sell dual AMD 1U's.  I don't see a lot of 2U's; my impression
> is that the engineering for such boxes is strictly based on flow,
> and that the increased dead-air capacity of 2U doesn't buy you much.

it buys you the ability to use 80mm fans, reasonable sized power supplies
and decent sized heatsinks. with heatsinks with side-mounted fans such as
the alpha pep66u the size of the unit you can put in a 2u case is quite
large. the supermicro 6022 (dual p4) we have do exactly that...

> > > building a system with Tyan 2466 motherboards and 400 W power
> > > supplies.  Should I use 3RU cases?
>
> if you can afford the lower density, go for it!  is 3U high enough
> to handle normal upright PCI cards?

3u is,  5.25", 2u (3.5")is tall enough to use low-profile pci cards
directy in slots with a properly designed case of which the supermicro
6022p (not athlon but a good example) is one variety

http://www.supermicro.com/PRODUCT/SUPERServer/SuperServer6022P-6.htm

 risers for low-profile cases