Tyan 2720 motherboard for Xeons (fwd)

Mark Hahn hahn at physics.mcmaster.ca
Mon Jun 24 10:34:10 PDT 2002

> Does anyone agree with Steve's opinion?

I have had some of each, and noticed no dramatic difference;
that's for small N, though, and in particular, no big piles
of one particular board.

it's clear that Tyan can be stable, since several big vendors use them (I
think appro and racksaver). it's also clear that supermicro is a lot more
focused on Intel, perhaps even with fewer products overall.  that's both
good and bad.  I think it's also reasonable to expect Tiger, Tyan's
workstation line, to take longer to stabilize in server situations
than Thunder boards.

the conservative choice for Intel-based solutions is clearly Intel
itself (who seems fairly agressive right now in pushing dual Xeons...)
has anyone had bad experiences with the new wave of e7500 boards?