Beowulf usage statistics?

Franz Marini franz.marini at mi.infn.it
Mon Jun 24 03:44:09 PDT 2002

On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, Alan Scheinine wrote:

> One possible explanation is that many small labs are planning
> to build small clusters of PCs.  If this is the case, the number of
> clusters based on WWW documentation and based on talks at conference
> may undercount the actual number by a factor of more than two or more.
> (Analogous to saying that in terms of biomass and number of species
> the dominant form of life on earth is bacteria.)

I think you're right...

Here at the Dept. of Physics of the University of Milan, we have at least
2 clusters, 1 16 diskless nodes +1 server, and 1 24 nodes + 1 server
mantained by me :)

So I think the real number of small clusters is actually much greater than
the "official" one ...

Franz

Franz Marini
Sys Admin and Software Analyst,
Dept. of Physics, University of Milan, Italy.
email : franz.marini at mi.infn.it