New GridEngine features (migration from LSF)

Ron Chen ron_chen_123 at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 16 15:25:53 PDT 2002

Hello,

A lot of people are mirgating from L$F to GridEngine.
One frequently requested feature is a cluster-wide
queue.

GridEngine uses a "queue" to represent an execution
host. This gives the workstation users much greater
control of when they want their machines to be made
available, and how much resource they want to provide.

In SGE, when a user submits a job, he requests for a
resource. In LSF, a user specifies a queue which has
the resource. They use different concepts to represent
a queue, and the users need to learn a new interface.

Since a lot of people ask for a cluster-wide queue, we
are planning to add this feature to SGE, so that
migration from LSF to SGE is more transparent.

(note - the original queue concept is still there even
after this feature is added, so the workstation user
can have full control of their machines; cluster
queues will provide grouping of machines/queues)

If you are interested in joining the discussion,
please join the SGE development mailing-list --

http://gridengine.sunsource.net/project/gridengine/maillist.html

Lastly, a few other features will be added to make the
migration smoother.

-Ron

http://gridengine.sunsource.net/unbranded-source/browse/~checkout~/gridengine/doc/devel/rfe/cluster_queue.txt?content-type=text/plain