Power controlers... on another note. - relays

Alvin Starr alvin at iplink.net
Tue Jun 4 08:40:18 PDT 2002

alvin at Maggie.Linux-Consulting.com wrote:
> hi ya
>
> relays are bad .... very bad ....
> 	- all kinds of mechanical failures
> 	- all kinds of inductive currents
>
> use an SCR instead .... and it can be turned on and off with
> a simple +5v circuit on the gate and turned off with a negative
> pulse ...
> 	-- same thing as a relay only 10x better ??
>
> c ya
> alvin
>

>>all you need is a 5A 110V DC-control relay.  the way this works is
>>essentially wire the relay + outlet like so:

SNIP

>>it's quite straightforward.
>>
>>-josh

Has anybody played with the X10 controller stuff. I have been thinking
of that for our computer room but I am not sure if we would have problems.
The hardware is cheap and readly available and can be easly computer
controlled. The prduct line is intended for home use and is not your
usual industrial quailty. There is also an upper limit of 255 devices
and some possible issues with external interferance.

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   voice: (416)585-9971
Interlink Connectivity        ||   fax:   (416)585-9974