About administering APC power controlers

Robert Latham robl at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Jun 3 07:58:53 PDT 2002

On Sat, Jun 01, 2002 at 01:12:02PM +0200, Ramiro Alba Queipo wrote:
> Hello everybody:
>
> We have a 72 nodes cluster and we are planing to buy APC power
> controlers in order to be able switching on/off the nodes remotely.
>
> The point is that I would like to confirm that it is posible to send
> commands to the power controlers from a linux console (and how) in order
> to develop scripts than can easily control the devices.

In a past life i wrote some scripts to do just that.  i offer it only
as an example of what is possible, not as an example of a gold-plated
bulletproof APC command line switch:

http://plogic.com/~rlatham/powerctl/

( i haven't worked on this script in a long time, but if you find it
useful, please let me know)

The GFS ( and maybe OpenGFS) guys have perl scripts based on
the perl telnet module to talk to the apc over the telnet interface.

==rob

--
Rob Latham
Argonne National Labs, IL USA                B29D F333 664A 4280 315B