License Server Redundancy [WAS: Re: LSF and Hyperthreading]

Jim Meyer purp at
Mon Jun 3 06:50:50 PDT 2002

On Sat, 2002-06-01 at 19:40, Ron Chen wrote:
> [...] I don't want to have my cluster stops working because of
> license server problems.

Actually, Globetrotter's Flexible License Manager (FlexLM) which
supports a redundant licensing scheme in which the key is cut for three
servers and you only need to be able to talk with two of those to make a
valid checkout. I'm pretty sure that Platform's LSF uses FlexLM.

In our industry (entertainment), we use a number of FlexLM-licensed
packages and have found that this scheme keeps us up 24/7 and allows us
to perform planned maintenance on the license servers during daylight

--j, living in a semi-proprietary world.
Jim Meyer, Geek At Large                              purp at