Optimal number of nfsd? [was: Re: OT:nfs hangs with redhat 7.3]

Martin Siegert siegert at sfu.ca
Mon Jul 29 14:02:26 PDT 2002

On Mon, Jul 29, 2002 at 12:55:12PM -0700, ulairi wrote:
> Quoting Jim Meyer <purp at wildbrain.com>:
>
> > Hello!
> >
> > > # Number of servers to be started by default
> > > RPCNFSDCOUNT=36
> >
> > Here's an excellent question: how does one calculate the optimal number
> > of nfsd processes to have lying about?
> >
> > Thanks!
>
> Best rule of thumb I've ever seen was nfsd per CPU.

I have a hard time believing that that is a good setting for a 1000 processor
beowulf cluster.

A more appropriate way of finding out how to set the number of nfsd processes
was given here on this list on May 6 by Jean-Christophe Ducom:

http://www.beowulf.org/pipermail/beowulf/2002-May/003447.html

Cheers,
Martin

Martin Siegert
Academic Computing Services                        phone: (604) 291-4691
Simon Fraser University                            fax:   (604) 291-4242
Burnaby, British Columbia                          email: siegert at sfu.ca
Canada  V5A 1S6