availability of Memory compression routine

Michael Prinkey mprinkey at aeolusresearch.com
Fri Jul 19 07:47:29 PDT 2002

While I wholeheartedly concur with Dr. Brown about the need for good
fundamental parallel algorithm design, the question does raise an
interesting point.  For some problems (CFD) which are not fundamentally
reducable to coarser levels of parallelism, interface conditions
must often be passed among PEs.  Usually, these interface conditions
represent a physical field of some type which is continuous or piece-
wise continuous, or at least mostly of the same order of magnitude.
It seems likely that some form of differential encoding or other
lossless compression scheme should be applicable.

Some time ago, a similar issue arose with data file storage for an
application.  We had been working on binary data storage.  Gzipping
the binary data resulted in only slight compression.  Gzipping an
ascii form of the same data reduced it quiet a bit, in some cases
smaller than the gzipped binary.  So, the point here is that gzip
is probably not appropriate.

Is there any more appropriate "profile" or "field" compression schemes
available that leverage this type of differential encoding?  If not,
it might make any interesting research project for parallel processing
as well as data storage, and visualization applications.

Mike Prinkey
Aeolus Research, Inc.

At Friday, 19 July 2002, "Robert G. Brown" <rgb at phy.duke.edu> wrote:

>Another suggestion:  From the sound of things, the master is doing very
>little "work" except for farming out the base matrix for each node's
>next unit of work.  You also don't indicate whether the work sequence
is
>independent or dependent (does the second matrix sent out depend on the
>results sent back by all the nodes) or synchronous (so that all the
>nodes have to finish at a barrier before the next work slice can be
>begun).  It could be that the base matrix isn't horribly difficult to
>compute and is independent for each slice OR that you have a big
file on
>disk of base matrices and are reading them in and sending them out one
>at a time.  In either case you should likely reconsider your code
>engineering.
>
>One secret to happy parallelization is to try to push your code
>structure towards the "ideal" of embarrassingly parallel.  You should
>therefore sit down and think carefully about the architecture of the
>problem and whether it is possible to reformulate it (possibly in an
>"odd" way) so that it is more nearly EP.
>
>You haven't indicated what the actual physics is of the problem you're
>working on, but if the master is computing the matrices it is sending
>out (perhaps generating them from a distribution and a random number
>seed) and if it takes signficantly less time to compute a new matrix
>than to send it via the net, you can very likely restructure your
>problem so that it is EP, or nearly so.
>
>For example, if your slaves had onboard the RNG and initial matrix
>computation routines, all the master would need to do is send all the
>slaves a starting RNG seed (once, at the very beginning) and an index
>indicating where a given slave should start generating its next matrix.
>The master would basically do trivial bookkeeping -- send out just
>enough information for the slaves to do ALL the work and then kick back
>and await results.
>
>A second, even more effective way to make the problem EP exists if you
>have large, independent blocks of parameter space that you are
>interested in exploring.  Simply divvy it up among the nodes and let
>each node run the job as a SERIAL task.  Node 1 runs the job(s)
you were