Humidifiers

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Thu Jul 18 17:19:34 PDT 2002

On Thu, 18 Jul 2002, Andre Lehovich wrote:

> We just had the campus cooling guy visit to prepare a cost
> estimate.  He wanted to know if we want to regulate humidity
> along with temperature.  A humidifier helps avoid static
> electricity problems.  (We're in the desert, so even before
> A/C the relative humidity is low.)
>
> What are other cluster builders doing -- are you buying
> humidifiers along with the air-conditioners?

Round these parts our problem is the opposite.  If I waved a shirt
around outside for ten minutes right now, I could probably wring a
thimbleful of water out of it.  Both temperature and humidity are in the
90's.

In the winter, though, it can be quite dry.  We didn't get a humidifier,
but a) I always ground myself before handling hardware; b) one almost
never has to handle hardware in a well-burned in cluster room.  In fact,
weeks pass with no human even looking in at the nodes (except maybe by
e-camera).

    rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu