CCL:Origin300, Linux Cluster (Re:)

Mikhail Kuzminsky kus at free.net
Thu Jul 4 10:53:17 PDT 2002

According to Eugen Leitl
> From beowulf-admin at beowulf.org Thu Jul  4 20:36:41 2002
> From: Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org>
> To: <Beowulf at beowulf.org>
> Subject: CCL:Origin300, Linux Cluster (fwd)

  Some time ago I looked somewhere on //www.sgi.com a set of benchmarks
results, in particular on Amber, for some SGI systems.
  But it's absolutely clear that you'll have much more high performance
and much more better price/performance ratio if you'll
build cluster of x86-based PC's w/1-2CPU's per node. Moreover, usually
you'll have better performance simple per CPU, i.e. at equal number of
processors.

  The main reasons for choice of Origin 300 may be a)the presence of
some chemical software which may "exist" for IRIX but absent for Linux;
b) The total cost of ownership, because cluster requires much more
"human time" for installation and administration.

Mikhail Kuzminsky
Zelinsky Inst. of Organic Chemistry
Moscow