Channel Bonding

Velocet math at velocet.ca
Sun Jan 27 22:50:04 PST 2002

On Sun, Jan 27, 2002 at 01:27:32PM -0600, David McBride's all...
> Thanks for the reply.
> I am trying to be able to do two different things.
> 1) I am trying to perform is to channel bond with a linux router that has 3
> nics, 2 connected to two different cable modems and one for the lan side to
> provide internet access.
> 2) I am trying to perform is to channel bond with a linux router that has 3
> nics, 1 connected to a cable modems and one connected to a ADSL line and one
> for the lan side to provide internet access, connected to a hub.
>
>            same ISP             and         Different ISP's
>
>      cable modem 1 cable modem 2         ADSL line   Cable modem
>          eth0 \      / eth1                eth0 \      / eth1
>                \    /                            \    /
>             linux router                       linux router
>                  | eth2                        eth2 |
>                  |                                  |
>                 hub                                hub
>                 /|\                                /|\
>               multiple PC's                    multiple PC's

this is way outside the scope of the beowulf list.

what you want is either Iproute2 for linux, or, the way i do it
which also agregates bandwidth, is multilink PPP over udp with a remote
server (actually, 2 mp sessions and OSPF, to be exact, in case remote
server dies, then other mp session to other server stays up :)

channel bonding is for broadcats mediums only - ie local ethernet
segments.

you can also  try policy routing if you have a preferred remote set
of hosts to route via one internet connection, leaving the other for
general traffic.

/kc

Ken Chase, math at velocet.ca  *  Velocet Communications Inc.  *  Toronto, CANADA