Dual Athlon MP 1U units

Velocet math at velocet.ca
Fri Jan 25 23:06:10 PST 2002

On Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 02:18:06PM -0500, Chris Black's all...
> We run dual 1.2GHz amd athlon mp cpu nodes with the Tyan S2462 Thunder
> K7 motherboards under 2.4 kernels. At the time we got our nodes, this
> was the only dual athlon board out for any length of time, so we ended
> up getting it even though it has onboard scsi that we don't use. There
> is a model out now without the scsi but the same chipset. Only issues
> is that we needed good power supplies with these boards (460 or 435,
> not sure). aapro (or some company with a similar name) makes 1U dual
> athlons, but we decided against it because we were worried about
> cooling issues. We actually rackmount our 2U nodes with some space between
> them for some extra airflow above and below the cases.

Whats the power dissipation of running dual 1.2 GHz Mp's? How about for
1.33Ghz regular athlons in non-SMP configs as comparison? (As well, how much
heat comes off typical power supplies to run these systems?)

How many CFM of airflow are needed for typical configs of each to ensure
cooling?

/kc

--
Ken Chase, math at velocet.ca  *  Velocet Communications Inc.  *  Toronto, CANADA