Beowulf with Gigabit Ethernet

Patrick Geoffray patrick at myri.com
Tue Jan 15 13:30:37 PST 2002

Hi Øystein,

Øystein Gran Larsen wrote:

> and trust helpful individuals that have access to Myrinet systems for the numbers.
> If you can direct us at an official resource with such numbers we would be very
> grateful.

The curve for the latest hardware is on my laptop, but I had not spare time to
make it pretty for the web site. It will happen one of these days.

The problem by comparing curves like that is that it means nothing. In this
curve
for example, the PCI is the bottleneck for Myrinet, and I would guess it is also
the case for the SCI curve. You do not want to show the limit of this PCI bus,
you want to show the limit of the interconnect itself. Doing so is confusing,
it's
impossible to know what is the information presented by the graphics.

> By the way, this type of performance numbers for the latest release of our
> software is not on our web site yet, but it's on its way. The numbers for previous
> releases can be found in the performance section on www.scali.com

It's funny that performance curves are never at the top of the TODO list, a
proof
that nobody really care about them :-)

Regards.