Fastest Intel Processors

C.Clary astroguy at
Fri Jan 11 08:40:19 PST 2002

Hi all,
I really think this Ghz. goobly-gook is way over rated.  I think, if you
look more closley at the problem, the key to superior proformance is in the
found in the actual construction or architecture of the processor.  The
Itanium, for example only runs at 733 Mghz but it has (on die)   2meg of
cashe on the L-2... The Alpha, in its previous incarnation ran at only 233
but did 64 bit processing... Quite amazing actually.

A friend wrote me that:
"Red hat is working closely with Compaq to solidify its OS to the Alpha
architecture"... I don't know for sure, first hand... But it is, of course,
the next logical step, since FreeBSD, already provides a clean UNIX 64 bit
processing code for the Alpha.

-----Original Message-----
From: beowulf-admin at [mailto:beowulf-admin at]On
Behalf Of Craig Tierney
Sent: Friday, January 11, 2002 11:13 AM
To: Rob Simac
Cc: beowulf at
Subject: Re: Fastest Intel Processors

The 2.2 Ghz cpus have just been released.  This generation
of cpu is built at 0.13 microns and has twice as big of a
L2 cache (512 KB).   These are the single processor versions.
The Xeon (smp) chips should follow shortly (I am guessing).
Go look at the roadmaps at  They tend to
be accurate.

I have not heard that there is a problem with the 2.0 Ghz.  Is
it a problem with RedHat or the Linux kernel specifically?  We
had no problems with the 1.7 Ghz Xeon chips, but they are not the
2.0 Ghz that you are talking about.

On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 07:03:35AM -0800, Rob Simac wrote:
>   What is the fastest Intel processors available to the public?  Have
> the 2.0 Ghz been released?  I have also heard rumors that the 2.0 Ghz
> has problems running with Red Hat 7.1.  Has anyone else heard this?
>                       Ciao,
>                            Rob.
>       Rob Simac -- Therma-Wave, Inc. -- rsimac at
> <mailto:rsimac at>
> "Remember this, foolish mortals, when ye stare headlong into the
> mind-paralyzing void, the inky black nothingness of existence, the
> hellish yawning maw of the abyss -- it's pretty damn dark, so give it a
> few minutes for your eyes to adjust."
>                           Frank M. Carrano, Branford, Conn.
>                           (Bulwer-Lytton Writing Contest Runner-up)

Craig Tierney (ctierney at
Beowulf mailing list, Beowulf at