Good, inexpensive fiber GigE card?

Ken Chase math at velocet.ca
Mon Dec 16 09:32:39 PST 2002

On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 04:28:41PM +0100, Felix Rauch's all...
> On Mon, 16 Dec 2002, Henderson, TL Todd wrote:
> > Anyone have any recommendations for a good, inexpensive, well supported
> > RedHat fiber GigE card?
>
> I can only give you a warning: Stay away from DP83820 based cards
> (like e.g. "Asante Friendlynet"). It's been a while since a student of
> mine worked with the card, but back then it had bad performance and
> hardware-bugs.

We've had relatively few problems with our ARK 83820 cards. (They're
an exact copy (down to the diodes) of the DLINK 83820 cards (apparently
which follow the reference layout). bcrl at redhat has gotten ~ 85MB/s across
a pair of these cards directly connected. They're not great for latency
but they're not bad for throughput with jumbo frames.

We bought them because they were $35 at the time and we needed a boatload
for what we were doing. The intel cards were $250 odd or something. However,
the intels e1000's are now like $50-55 and quite nice.

Heard good things about tigon 3 based cards, however. Anyone used some yet?

/kc

Ken Chase, math at velocet.ca  *  Velocet Communications Inc.  *  Toronto, CANADA